I’ve been using Google Voice for my home and business phone service since 2011. With this app, you can use a cell phone that is designated exclusively for this purpose, or add a google voice number as a second line to an existing, in service cell phone, like me wife does on her Nexus 6p for her business. I have found that outside of the tech world not many people know about this option, but everyone I tell about it wants to give it a try. If you’re needing a phone line to be used exclusively in a place where you have WiFi, give it a try.
Let google be your free home phone service! I will be using a Nexus 5 for my home phone.
- go to voice.google.com, sign in to your gmail account and select a phone number. I created a new email account for the family, so that my personal email account was not available for anyone to use.
- Use an Android phone you have lying around or if you don’t have a new enough one available, an inexpensive one will do.
- Start fresh – wipe and reinstall the operating system.
- Log in to your gmail account.
- Download the google voice app from the app store. Make sure it is the official Google app and not one of the many third party ones.
- Make sure all apps are up to date via the play store
- Open the app and sign in.
- Enter the cell phone number linked to the account.
- Set google voice to use for all calls.
- Get the hangouts dialer – This is necessary to make calls via google voice.
- Open hangouts and make your first call or text.
- For now, hangouts is the best way to interface with google voice but google has been updating the google voice app and may at some point replace hangouts for calls.
- Get a durable case – because kids drop stuff.