The new Samsung Galaxy S8 has many features that are alluring, but to me Samsung DeX could be the biggest technological leap forward. If done correctly, DeX could be the beginning steps of your phone taking the place of your desktop computer. The key to this will be how well the Snapdragon 835 works with the software to create a seamless and fast Desktop experience.
Here is the product announcement for the new Galaxy S8. Pre-Orders start tomorrow and will be in stores by April 21.
5.8″ Quad HD+ Super AMOLED
6.2″ Quad HD+ Super AMOLED
- *Infinity Display: a bezel-less, full-frontal, edge-to-edge screen.
- *Default resolution is Full HD+ and can be changed to Quad HD+(WQHD+) in Settings.
- *Screen measured diagonally as a full rectangle without accounting for the rounded corners.
- 8MP AF
- F1.7 Aperture
- Pixel size: 1.22µm
- Sensor size: 1/3.6″
- FOV: 80
- Wide selfie
- Dual Pixel 12MP AF
- OIS (Optical Image Stabilization)
- F1.7 Aperture
- Pixel size: 1.4µm
- Sensor size: 1/2.55″
- FOV: 77
- Max Zoom: 8x (digital)
- Pro mode
- Slow motion
- Food mode
- Save as RAW file
- VDIS (Video Digital Image Stabilization)
- HDR (High Dynamic Range)
- Selective focus (Bokeh effect)
- Virtual shot
- Motion photo
- Grid line
- Location tags
- Quick launch
- Voice control
- 4K video recording at 30 fps
- 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps
- 720p HD video recording at 30 fps
- VDIS (Video Digital Image Stabilization)
- Digital Zoom 8x
- High CRI LED Flash
- Slow Motion video support for 720p at 240 fps
- Hyperlapse video with stabilization
- Continuous Autofocus video
- Face Detection
- Tracking AF
- Take 9-megapixel still photos while recording 4K video
- Playback Zoom
- Video Location tags
- Octa-core (2.3GHz Quad + 1.7GHz Quad), 64 bit, 10nm processor
- Octa-core (2.35GHz Quad + 1.9GHz Quad), 64 bit, 10nm processor
4GB RAM (LPDDR4)
64GB (UFS 2.1)
Network & Connectivity
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz),VHT80 MU-MIMO,1024QAM
Bluetooth® v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB Type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou)
Expandable Memory & SIM Card
Single SIM model: one Nano SIM and one MicroSD slot (up to 256GB)
Dual SIM model (Hybrid SIM slot): one Nano SIM and one Nano SIM or one MicroSD slot (up to 256GB)
Android 7.0 (Nougat)
[Ultra High Quality Audio Playback]UHQ 32-bit &DSD support
- PCM: Up to 32 bits
- DSD: DSD64/128
[Audio Playback Format]
MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, DSF, DFF
Dual Audio: connect two Bluetooth devices to the Galaxy S8 or S8+ to play audio through the two devices simultaneously.
*The two connected devices may exhibit a slight difference in sound output.
Scalable Codec: Bluetooth connection is stable even with ambient radio frequency interferences.
Recording quality is improved with the High AOP Mic that minimizes distortion in noisy environments.
*AOP: Acoustic Overload Point
Pure sound by AKG
Hybrid canal type
2way Dynamic Unit
[Video Playback format]
MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
Wireless: Smart View (Miracast 1080p at 30 fps, mirroring support available for devices supporting Miracast or Google Cast.)
With cable: supports DisplayPort over USB type-C. Supports video out when connecting via HDMI Adapter. (DisplayPort 4K 60 fps)
*Water resistant up to 1.5 meters of water for 30 minutes.
- MP3 playback (AOD on): up to 44 hrs
- MP3 playback (AOD OFF): up to 67 hrs
- Video playback: up to 16 hrs
- Talk time: up to 20 hrs
- Internet use (Wi-Fi): up to 14 hrs
- Internet use (3G): up to 11 hrs
- Internet use (4G): up to 12 hrs
- MP3 playback (AOD on): up to 50 hrs
- MP3 playback (AOD OFF): up to 78 hrs
- Video playback: up to 18 hrs
- Talk time: up to 24 hrs
- Internet use (Wi-Fi): up to 15 hrs
- Internet use (3G): up to 13 hrs
- Internet use (4G): up to 15 hrs
Fast Charging on wired and wireless
Wireless Charging compatible with WPC and PMA
Sensors & Buttons
- Iris Sensor
- Pressure Sensor
- Fingerprint Sensor
- Gyro Sensor
- Geomagnetic Sensor
- Hall Sensor
- HR Sensor
- Proximity Sensor
- RGB Light Sensor
- On/Off key
- Volume key
- Bixby key
- Lock Type: Pattern, Pin, Password
- Biometrics Lock Type: Iris Scanner, Fingerprint Scanner, Face Recognition
- Knox protection: Real-time device monitoring and protection
- Virus, malware prevention (Powered by Intel Security)
- Secure Folder: A secure space on the device to keep content such as apps, photos, movies, and files private using either iris scanning or fingerprint scanning.
- Credit & debit cards: supports MST/NFC
- Membership cards
- Gift cards
- Transit cards
- Reward point service
- Press the Bixby button to go to Bixby Home, or press and hold it to interact with Bixby using voice.
*Available features and content providers may vary by country.
Edge Panels: Apps edge, People edge, Smart select, Reminder, Tasks edge, Quick panel, Clipboard edge, Device Maintenance, Weather, Calendar
AOD(Always On Display)
AOD content: Choose from a variety of clock designs and information.
- Clock: Digital clock, Analogue clock, World clock, and Edge clock (option to choose color and wallpaper.)
- Active clock (with second hand)
- Image: Select an image from Gallery or Smart Select and set it as wallpaper for the AOD screen.
- And more: Set custom text, date, battery level, app notifications, and song information.
FaceWidgets: Experience different widgets on the AOD screen by double-tapping the clock area.
Pin to AOD
- Pin text and images you wish to remember to the AOD screen. The pinned memo can be easily viewed or deleted.
- You can pin memo to the AOD screen using Reminder and Share via.
- Download AOD-exclusive themes from Theme Store.
- Decorate your AOD screen with various themes.
Themes are sets of wallpaper, icons, and other design details available for download to the Galaxy S8 and S8+.
To continue making our technology accessible to everyone, Samsung has developed and applied a variety of technical solutions. With solutions for vision, hearing, dexterity and interaction, people with disabilities can easily use technology and take advantage of new and exciting features.
- Voice Assistant
- High Contrast Theme
- Magnifier widget
- Color Adjustment
- Sound Detector
- Flash notification
- Universal Switch
- YoutTube Music
- Google Play Music
- TuneIn Radio
- iHeart Radio
- Philips Hue
- First Alert Onelink
- Google Chromecast
- Google Chromecast Audio
- Nvidia Shield
- Bang & Olufsen
- Google Photos
- Google Calendar
- Google Keep
- Mad Libs
source – Google
If you are in the market for a cheap but good Android phone look no further than the Moto G5 Plus. For only $229 you get specs that compete against phones that are far more expensive. In addition to the low price you don’t have to deal with all the bloat of a carrier phone (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile).
Preorder at Bestbuy.com
Full review at androidcentral.com
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processorOcta-core 2GHz processor and 2GB of RAM deliver outstanding overall performance for opening and running applications, flipping through menus, running home screens and more.
- Android 7.0 Nougat OSMakes it easier to take action in the moment, with more personalized settings and smarter notifications.
- Compatible with CDMA and GSM carriers, including Verizon Wireless, Sprint, AT&T and T-MobileAlso compatible with prepaid SIM Kits, including Verizon Wireless Prepaid, Cricket Wireless, Tracfone, Net10, H2O, GoPhone and Simple Mobile.
- 4G LTE speedProvides fast Web connection for downloading apps, streaming content and staying connected with social media.
- 5.2″ touch screen LCD with Full HD 1080p resolution and 424 ppiExtra-large screen is matched with a slim body to comfortably fit in your hand. Corning™ Gorilla™ Glass 3 resists scratches.
- 12.0MP camera with Dual Autofocus PixelsWith a high pixel density sensor the camera is able to lock onto a subject easily. Fewer missed shots, more stunning photos day or night. Also includes a front-facing 5.0MP camera for self-portraits.
- 32GB internal memory plus microSD slotProvides plenty of storage space for your contacts, music, photos, apps and more. Expand storage up to 128GB by adding a microSD card (sold separately).
- Your fingerprint keeps your phone secureSwipe your finger on the backside sensor panel to unlock your phone.
- Use your smartphone as a mobile hotspotShare your 4G data connection with other compatible wireless devices.*
- Access to Google PlayBrowse and download apps, magazines, books, movies, and television programs directly to your phone.
- Listen to your favorite tunesStore and play your MP3 files on your phone.
Timed to take some steam out of the upcoming announcement of the Galaxy S8. Andy Rubin Tweeted out a pic of a phone that he and a small team have been working on. The team consists of some former Google and Apple employees and claims that they will be jumping in the the high end smart phone space soon.
It seems the S8 is just about the worst kept secret. Here are the latest leaked pictures. If you would like to know just about everything about the new S8 phonearena has a great article.
Card Wars – Adventure Time
Floop the Pig! It’s Adventure Time CARD WARS! Play the game inspired by the Adventure Time episode, “Card Wars”! Summon creatures and cast spells to battle your way to victory.
Command an army of awesome warriors, including Husker Knights, Cool Dog, the Immortal Maize Walker, and even the Pig to destroy your opponent’s forces! Place towers and cast spells to unleash ultimo attacks.
Win all the wars! Collect new cards to customize your deck for each opponent. Level up your creatures, spells, and towers, or fuse them together to make your cards even more powerful.
HIGH STAKES BATTLES!
Think you’ve got what it takes to be crowned a Cool Guy, or will you end up drinking from the Dweeb cup? Start your own wars as Finn, Jake, BMO, Princess Bubblegum, Marceline, Flame Princess and more as you wind your way through the Land of Ooo!
This isn’t just any war of cards. It’s Adventure Time CARD WARS!
Survival Craft War Online PRO
Grab your guns and dive into the battle, soldier! You are on an island where you’ve got only one target – you have to survive! Survival Craft War Online is a pixel fps action survival game where you fight for you life with other survivors. Your battlefield is an amazing tropical cube island.
Be the best among your friends and score the most kills in the game!
If you like action shooter fps games, you will definitely love Survival Craft War Online graphics, huge arsenal of guns, beautiful tropical island and absolutely free app is exactly what you need to have a lot of fun!
• This is your racing team. Hire drivers, develop your car and invest in technology.
• Work with your drivers to achieve the perfect qualifying lap.
• Formulate the ideal pitstop strategy to win races.
• Watch the race in real-time or jump into the strategy screens to take control of the action.
• React to weather changes, crashes and safety car periods.
• Win championships across the world to reach the pinnacle of motorsport.
Survival Game: Lost Island PRO
You must survive! You are alone on lost island. Break trees, find resources, craft items. You must should do many things if you want to survive on night. Take a look Survival Game: Lost Island PRO, this is amazing island adventure!
Beware of wild animals, hunt, find food.
Make other items, craft new weapons. Take pick ore axe and get more resources!
Can you unravel the mysteries of this island?
Real survival island game is the absolutely new adventure!
*** HOW TO PLAY ? ***
+ Break trees, find ores. If you find some resources, you can craft pick or axe. Tap on tree or ore (stone), and select button what do you want to do. When the progress bar if empty you will get resource.
*** CRAFT ***
+ Intresting craft system. Tap on the gear button to open craft menu. There you can find many recipes. Some craft recipes are available near workbench or furnace.
*** HOW TO BUILD ***
+ This game is realy sandbox! Open your backpack, grag the item to map or just click “Drop” and item will appear near you. You can build different blocks, doors, fences and make a own house.
*** HUNTING ***
+ Tap on animal and select button for attack. Beware of predators! Also you can get many resources from animals such as bear, wolf, sheep, fish and etc.
Survival Game: Lost Island PRO features:
+ Advertisement free version!
+ big island!
+ different resources!
+ realistic 3d graphics!
+ real survival island simulator!
+ craft system!
+ hunting and fishing!
+ good tutorial for beginners!
+ good music and sound effects!
+ different weather!
Online streaming has been a sore spot for me while using Linux. There are many pros to using the Linux operating system and the benefits grow with each update. However, one major downside is that if I want to stream a video, I have to move to a different machine. While this might seem small, the lack of Netflix gives my Linux machine the sole role of being used for work related tasks. When I read this on the Netflix tech blog I immediately had to try it on my Ubuntu and openSUSE machines. Ubuntu worked immediately and openSUSE did not but I’m sure it will with some configuring. The more robust an OS is, the better chance it has of being used by more people. The addition of Netflix moves Linux one step closer to being the one machine for a broader base of users.
Since then, we have launched HTML5 video on Chrome OS, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera, Firefox, and Edge on all supported operating systems. And though we do not officially support Linux, Chrome playback has worked on that platform since late 2014. Starting today, users of Firefox can also enjoy Netflix on Linux. – Netflix
For me, the ability to share your location in Google maps has been a long awaited feature. When I am traveling and want to share my ETA with family or plan to meet someone somewhere, I currently use Glympse. The problem is that to use it with others I have to convince them to put an app on their phone and create an account in order to share my location. Having this feature baked right in to every phone is a great advancement, by eliminating the need for an extra app.
The update should be available soon.
Next time you’re on your way or running late, you can share your real-time location and trip progress from navigation as well. During your next trip, tap the “More” button on the bottom on the navigation screen, and then tap “Share trip.” When you share your trip with people, they’ll see your expected arrival time and can follow your journey as you head toward your destination. Sharing automatically ends when you arrive.
Location sharing on Google Maps is rolling out soon worldwide, and you’ll be able to quickly let your friends and family know where you are and when you’ll get where you’re going. The answer to “where are you?” is only a tap away.
source – Google
Google Duo – Audio Calling
Duo is a easy way to communicate via video with friends and family on Android and iOS. With the latest update, you will also be able to voice call. This will be a nice update, particularly for situations where you are in a public area or have limited bandwidth.
Google Allo – Sending Files
Allo is a great way to communicate with friends. Since its launch in September, it has continued to add new features, making the app more and more useful. Today Google updated the app to enable file sharing, I don’t have much use for that feature now but it will be nice once they enable Allo on the Desktop. The next step is to allow Allo to be my default SMS client.
source – The Keyword (Google Blog)